By Letter to the Editor on July 31, 2020.
These are the facts:
1. Masks worn in public limit the spread of COVID-19.
2. If I wear a mask to a store and you don’t, I am protecting you and you are endangering me.
3. Even in most restaurants, grocery stores and other businesses, the person serving you is not wearing a mask.
4. Mandating mask wearing is the only way to effect this simple health measure.
5. Edmonton, Calgary, Lethbridge and Banff now have laws making masks mandatory; the majority of states in the USA and big cities like Toronto mandate masks.
6. We are seeing increasing cases, increasing hospital admissions right here in Medicine Hat.
The time has come for the mayor and city council to do their job and mandate a form of mandatory masking; the excuse of leaving the decision to the Health Authority is just that, an excuse.
Waiting any longer is inexcusable and dangerous.
Dr. Ronald W. Witzke