By The Canadian Press on January 28, 2024.
LONDON, Ont. – A lawyer for Alex Formenton confirms the former NHL player is facing charges in London, Ont.
In an email, Toronto-based lawyer Daniel Brown says police have charged several players — including Formenton — related to an accusation made in 2018.
The Globe and Mail reported Formenton turned himself into London police earlier today.
The newspaper, citing two unnamed sources, reported earlier this week that charges are connected to an alleged group sexual assault of a woman in a London, Ont., hotel room in 2018. None of the allegations have been proven in court.
Formenton is one of five players from Canada’s 2018 world junior team who recently went on indefinite leave from their pro clubs amid a report that five members of that roster were asked to surrender to face sexual assault charges.
Formenton, who previously played for the Ottawa Senators, currently plays in Switzerland. Carter Hart of the Philadelphia Flyers, Michael McLeod and Cal Foote – both of the New Jersey Devils – and Dillon Dube of the Calgary Flames were also granted leave by their respective NHL teams in recent days.
A London police spokesperson says all updates will be provided at a news conference on Feb. 5. A message left with Formenton’s agent was not immediately returned.