June 21st, 2024

Accused waiting for disclosure on mischief case

By Delon Shurtz - Lethbridge Herald on May 23, 2024.

LETHBRIDGE HERALDdshurtz@lethbridgeherald.com

A 20-year-old Lethbridge man accused of falsely telling police his friend was kidnapped, had his matter addressed briefly Monday in Lethbridge court of justice.
An agent for the accused’s lawyer was granted an adjournment until June 12, and told the judge defence is waiting for disclosure from the Crown’s office.
Jacob Xander Brown was charged with one count of public mischief after a man reported an elaborate kidnapping that involved significant police resources in Lethbridge and Calgary and was ultimately proven to be untrue.
At about 7 p.m. on March 2 police responded to a 911 call reporting a hostage-taking and kidnapping in progress. A man reported a friend had phoned him moments earlier and stated he had been kidnapped and was trapped in the back of a moving vehicle. The caller told dispatchers the kidnappers were armed with bear spray, knives and possibly a firearm.
The Lethbridge Police Service’s criminal investigation section and critical incident team were immediately called out and initiated an investigation. Following an extensive investigation involving numerous police officers, including assistance from members of the Calgary Police Service, the alleged victim was found in Calgary, and he confirmed he was safe and had not been the victim of any crime.
At about 11 p.m. Brown was arrested at his residence, and later released from custody.

Share this story:

3
-2
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments