By Delon Shurtz - Lethbridge Herald on December 19, 2023.
A 33-year-old woman who last month pleaded not guilty to several charges in relation to a fatal collision with a pedestrian, is still waiting to set a date for trial.
During a brief hearing Friday in Lethbridge court of justice, court was told defence is still waiting to receive an agreed statement of facts from the Crown before a trial for the accused, Bobbi Raquel Whillans, can be scheduled. The agreed statement of facts is expected to help streamline and make the trial more manageable.
The Crown and defence had previously discussed the possibility of resolving the case without a trial. Failing that, however, the accused lawyer, Justin Dean, previously advised a trial would likely take less than a day.
“It’s a significant charge; however, we’ve been discussing an abbreviated trial that would bring this down to an agreed statement of facts, and it could probably be concluded in a matter of three hours,” Dean said during a court hearing Oct. 25.
Whillans is charged with dangerous driving causing death and dangerous driving causing bodily harm. The charges stem from a collision at the intersection of 26 Avenue and 28 Street North about 3 p.m. on Jan. 17. A 66-year-old man died and a 62-year-old woman sustained life-threatening injuries and were taken to Chinook Regional Hospital and later transferred to Calgary by STARS.
Police said a GMC truck was travelling east on 26 Avenue North, and while turning onto 28 Street struck the pedestrians as they crossed the street in the crosswalk. The driver immediately stopped and called 911.
The matter has been adjourned for a week to allow more time for defence and the Crown to discuss the case and finalize the agreed statement of facts.
Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter