July 21st, 2024

CP NewsAlert: Princess Anne’s planned trip to Newfoundland cancelled following injury

By The Canadian Press on June 24, 2024.

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. – Princess Anne’s planned trip to Newfoundland this weekend to mark the 100th anniversary of the unveiling of the National War Memorial in St. John’s has been cancelled.

A spokesperson for Buckingham Palace confirmed this morning that the trip had been called off after the princess was injured when she was walking on Sunday evening.

A statement from Buckingham Palace says she sustained minor injuries and a concussion on the Gatcombe Park estate, but neither the statement nor the spokesperson provided any detail about what happened.

The statement says she is being kept for observation as a precautionary measure at Southmead Hospital, and she is expected to make a full recovery.

In a statement this morning, Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Andrew Furey said he was disappointed Anne could no longer attend the weekend’s events, and he wished her a quick recovery.

Anne, the sister of King Charles, is the colonel in chief of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment and president of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

More coming.

Share this story:

8
-7
Subscribe
Notify of
1 Comment
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments