July 24th, 2024

UPDATED: Second man wanted in Jordan Pede homicide located

By Medicine Hat News on February 14, 2017.

Handout Photo Leonard Robert Terence Beaulieu is shown in this handout photo. Beaulieu, wanted for second-degree murder in the death of Jordan Pede, was arrested Feb. 13 in Winnipeg.

prevell@medicinehatnews.com @MHNprevell

A man wanted on second-degree murder charges in Medicine Hat was arrested in Monday in Winnipeg.

Leonard Robert Terence Beaulieu, age 24, will soon be on his way back to the city, to face the charge following the New Year’s Eve assault and subsequent death of 24-year-old Jordan Pede.

“Our investigators here have worked non-stop to find out who is responsible for this crime, to complete disclosure, and put out warrants and now work with different police agencies to locate and arrest him safely,” said Insp. Brent Secondiak with the Medicine Hat Police.

Police issued a warrant for Beaulieu’s arrest on Jan. 31, just days after the arrest of Luke Boxell, who is also charged with second-degree murder for Pede’s death.

Police had grounds to arrest both nearly at the same time, said Secondiak, but Beaulieu had fled the area.

The search for Beaulieu extended northwards to Fort McMurray, and also eastwards to Winnipeg, said Secondiak, and included local police working with Fort McMurray RCMP, Winnipeg police, Manitoba RCMP and the Dakota Ojibway Police Service.

“He would not have been found if it wasn’t for the cooperation of these other police agencies,” said Secondiak, pointing to the information sharing and teamwork into tracing Beaulieu’s whereabouts.
“He was moving between different residences within Winnipeg and on a reserve north of Winnipeg,” said Secondiak.

Police also used IP addresses to track where Beaulieu was accessing his social media accounts.

Beaulieu was arrested at a Winnipeg residence on Feb. 13, by a tactical team. There was no harm to him,  anyone in the community, or officers involved in the arrest, Secondiak said.

Pede’s family was notified of the arrest Monday night.

In the next six days, police will be transporting Beaulieu back to Medicine Hat.

Alongside the various policing agencies, Secondiak also extended a thank you to the public as many tips came forward about where Beaulieu could have been.

Pede was found injured at Strathcona Park on New Year’s Eve, flown to Calgary Hospital and later died. Preliminary autopsy results released Jan. 13 stated Pede died as the result of a gunshot wound.

Police have called the homicide a drug transaction gone wrong.

Boxell’s last court appearance was on Feb. 8, with his next set for March 1 to give his defence counsel the chance to look at disclosure.

Share this story:


Comments are closed.