February 17th, 2026

Jury hears accused mass killer shot up Winnipeg suite after days of drugs, drinking

By Canadian Press on February 17, 2026.

WINNIPEG — A Crown prosecutor says a man accused of fatally shooting five people in a Winnipeg rooming house opened fire after days of using drugs and drinking alcohol there.

A jury trial has started for Jamie Felix, who faces five counts of second-degree murder.

He has pleaded not guilty to the killings in the West Broadway neighbourhood building in November 2023.

Prosecutor Georgia Couturier says in her opening argument that Felix fired nine shots into a unit that was a known drug den.

She says he then turned the gun on himself, but there were no bullets left.

She says Felix fled the area and was arrested by police five days later.

The victims were identified as Crystal Beardy, 34; her sister Stephanie Beardy, 33; Melelek Lesikel, 29; Dylan Lavallee, 41; and Shawn Marko, 56.

Two were pronounced dead at the scene, and two died soon after in hospital. Marko, who had been in hospital since the shooting, died last year.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 17, 2026.

Brittany Hobson, The Canadian Press

Share this story:

13
-12
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments