TUMBLER RIDGE — The British Columbia government says portable facilities will begin arriving in Tumbler Ridge, B.C., to allow children to return to school after six people were killed at the community’s high school last week.
The B.C. government says in a news release that the new facilities will be set up on the grounds of nearby Tumbler Ridge Elementary school.
It says the single-wide trailers will be the first phase in the resumption of classes in a safe environment for Tumbler Ridge Secondary students.
Chad Anderson, the chair of the Peace River South School Board, says they know routine and community are important to many in the aftermath of the tragedy.
The statement says the first buildings arriving Monday will be the bathroom trailers, followed by the classroom units on Tuesday and Wednesday, but it’s expected to take several days to set up the units with heating, water and furnishings.
Five pupils and a teacher’s aide were shot dead at the school last Tuesday by 18-year-old Jesse Van Rootselaar, after she killed her mother and 11-year-old half brother at their home.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 16, 2026.
The Canadian Press