February 16th, 2026

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. says Blue Jays ‘very capable’ after World Series heartbreak

By Canadian Press on February 16, 2026.

DUNEDIN — When the Toronto Blue Jays lost Game 7 of the World Series in a heartbreaking 11th inning, Vladimir Guerrero Jr. was the last person to leave the home dugout at Rogers Centre.

Sitting in that moment was how he moved on from Toronto’s disappointing 5-4 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

“When I left, I felt like I had faced reality, and the only thing I had left to say to myself was just thank God for the year I had, for the year the team had had,” said Guerrero.

“Right then, I just turned the page.”

Position players officially reported to the Blue Jays’ spring training camp on Monday, although Guerrero had been at the team’s Player Development Complex for days. One of Guerrero’s final comments to the media after the loss Nov. 1 was that, as early as spring training, he knew Toronto’s ’25 team had a roster capable of greatness.

He said Monday he has the same feeling about the 2026 lineup.

“I think we’re very capable,” said Guerrero through translator Hector Lebron, noting the Blue Jays had added pitchers Dylan Cease and Cody Ponce as well as third baseman Kazuma Okamoto. “I think it’s going to be more fun and I’m actually more happy than last year.

“For whatever reason, I’m happy, and I’m feeling great. I have good feelings about this year, and I know we’re capable of doing a lot of good things.”

Toronto manager John Schneider agreed with his star player’s assessment as the club started full-team workouts for the first time this year.

“The main message is we’re not defending anything. We’re not defending the AL East. We’re not defending the American League,” said Schneider. “We’re attacking 2026 like we did in 2025 or any year, really.

“You’re trying to win the division, you’re trying to win the World Series. That’s it.”

Guerrero signed a 14-year, US$500-million contract extension with the Blue Jays on April 9.

Toronto quickly got its money’s worth, as he hit .292 last season with 23 home runs, 84 runs batted in and a .381 on-base percentage. The five-time all-star has a career .288 average with 183 homers and 591 RBIs and a .366 OBP over seven seasons, all with the Blue Jays.

He also won the American League Championship Series MVP as he led the Blue Jays to their first Major League Baseball final since 1993.

“Going back to the post-season last year, I think it’s really cool for everyone to be on that heightened stage and to see how they responded,” said Schneider. “I think that kind of bleeds into this year, but (Guerrero) has been a little bit more vocal than I’ve ever seen him, a little bit more loose than I’ve ever seen him and understands that he’s one of the best players in the game.”

The 26-year-old Guerrero is now the longest-tenured Blue Jays player and Toronto’s de facto captain, even if he doesn’t necessarily see himself that way.

“I don’t see myself as a leader,” said Guerrero. “I always put myself as a good teammate, and when you are a good teammate, then you become a good leader.

“I’m a good teammate.”

His role as the face of the franchise was cemented when Bo Bichette left the team, signing a three-year, $126-million deal with the New York Mets, moving from shortstop to third base in the process.

“It’s difficult not having him around,” said Guerrero, who played with Bichette through the minor leagues and with the Blue Jays. “I mean, we played 10 years together, but at the same time, I understand it’s business, and he has to take care of his family as well.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 16, 2026.

John Chidley-Hill, The Canadian Press



Share this story:

25
-24
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments