By Cassie Donnelly on May 16, 2019.
For most people May long weekend is the official start of summer and camping season. I am not “most people.” I have, and always will, despise camping. Now don’t get me wrong, there are still aspects of camping that I enjoy. I love sitting around a fire roasting hot dogs and marshmallows or laying on a beach in the sand and soaking in the sun. I’m not partial to having to pack up coolers full of food, blankets, bug spray and countless other items just for a night or two of “getting away.”
I blame my hate for camping on my parents. I won’t go into details, but my very first camping trip involved a tent and a frog. Let’s just say I didn’t get much sleep that night! For some reason it turned me off from camping for a very long time. Now, instead of enjoying the wilderness with my friends and family, I make day trips to visit my friends who are camping and then I drive back to my comfy air-conditioned home.
With the forecast for May long weekend looking less than desirable, I thought it would be fun to give you some other non-camping ideas to do this weekend.
1. Go to the Farmers’ Market. One of my favourite pastimes in checking out the Farmers’ Market on the Stampede grounds. Opening day is this Saturday and it runs from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. You can find a mix array of items at the market – everything from homemade baking to fresh produce, crafts, wine, coffee and more. Plus, you’re supporting local! The market will run every Saturday until Oct. 5. Oh, and did I mention it’s free?
2. Check out the musical “Rent” at the Esplanade. Medicine Hat is home to such a wide array of talented actors and musicians. Top Hat Productions is showing their latest production “Rent” at the Esplanade from May 16-19 and 21-23.
3. Take a booze tour. The Gas City is lucky enough to have a number of breweries and distilleries. It doesn’t matter where you start, but you could spend an entire day visiting Hell’s Basement, Medicine Hat Brewing Company, Travois Ale Works & Grit City Distillery.
4. Check out the seventh annual Sunshine Skillet Food Festival. There’s a coffee and brewery tour on Friday, a greenhouse tour and a Sunset dinner on Saturday featuring a five-course authentically local dinner
5. Go golfing. If the sun does decide to come out, go for a round of golf at one of our many golf courses. Or, if you’re like me and you don’t really know how to golf, check out the mini-golf course at Hooplas or the glow in the dark mini-golf course out at Dunmore Dugout.
6. Binge watch a new show on Netflix. Sometimes it’s nice to have a lazy weekend and binge watch a show on Netflix. I recommend “After Life” starring Ricky Gervais.
7. Spring clean the house. Are you feeling energetic? Why not spring clean the house? Go through your closet, clean those baseboards and wash those walls. You will feel so accomplished by the end.
8. Go see “Avengers: Endgame.” That will kill three hours of your day!
9. Enjoy some local cuisine. There are a number of new restaurants that have popped up in Medicine Hat over the last couple of weeks. Why not check out The Mexican Hat on Eighth Street NW or Izote Latin Cozina downtown for some authentic Latin American food.
10. Sleep in. Because we all need more sleep.
Whatever you plan to do for the long weekend, I hope you enjoy it.
Cassie Donnelly is the morning show co-host at 105.3 ROCK. You can reach her on twitter @cass_1053rock.
You must be logged in to post a comment.