By Medicine Hat News on March 8, 2018.
It’s crazy to think that a little more than 10 years ago 105.3 ROCK had just launched here in The Gas City. I have to admit, I wasn’t there right at the start, but I did join the team six months later as an intern in the promotions department. Nine and a half years later I am still very proud to be part of such an amazing team. This past week has been a time of reflection for many of us here at the station, which got me recalling all of the amazing community events, concerts and promotions that have happened here in Medicine Hat. While there have been so many I loved, I was able to shorten my list and have chosen my official 10 favourite events from the past 10 years.
1. 10th Birthday Bash — Our most recent event, the 10th Birthday Bash was such an amazing time complete with some of our biggest listeners, great food and live music. We gave away more than $10,000 in prizing and had an awesome time celebrating the past 10 years.
2. Slash Concert — We have had some amazing concerts come through the gas city over the years but one of the most memorable has to be when Slash played the Esplanade. Not only was it an amazing rock show with the incredible Slash rocking every tune they played, but it ended with huge confetti cannons filling the entire room with some sparkle. It was quite the sight to see.
3. Medicine Hat Exhibition & Stampede — Each year the Stampede is a blast. It’s such a different experience getting to spend a week out of the office working remotely down from such a huge community event. We meet so many different people plus we get to indulge in great food, rides and entertaining acts.
4. Medicine Hat News Santa Claus Fund Toy Run — Year after year, this is always one of the events I look forward to the most. This event brings together hundreds of motorcycle enthusiasts along with hundreds more spectators for a wonderful day filled with a motorcycle parade, BBQ, raffles, auctions, beer garden and family fun all in support of the Medicine Hat News Santa Claus Fund.
5. Earl Jam — For multiple years during the past decade Earl Jam was the go to place on Spectrum Weekend. There was live music, great drinks and best part was you got to enjoy it all in the beautiful outdoors.
6. Elkwater Mile High Tri — It is very easy to forget about just how close Cypress Hills are to our community. The Elkwater Mile High Tri brings together both Cypress Hills and a love of physical activity in an awesome triathlon enjoyed by many. We have loved being a part of this event from its very start.
7. Canada Cup of Curling — In 2010 Medicine Hat hosted this awesome event that brought people from all over to our city. While curling isn’t for everyone, watching such a huge event come together was a sight to see. Plus it was complete with awesome parties at night with live music and just a ton of fun had by all.
8. Air Guitar Competition — Last year was my first time personally being at the air guitar competition that happens downtown but I have to say if you haven’t been, plan to go this year! Whether you compete or not, getting into the spirit of just simply rocking out and having a good time brings a smile to everyone’s face.
9. Hometown Hockey — Last year Medicine Hat was one of the locations for Rogers Hometown Hockey. It was an awesome event, even though the weather was cold, bringing some of your favourite NHL players to town along with cool demos, free stuff and, of course, hockey!
10. Rideaway Party — Last year’s Born to Ride Rideaway party out at Badland’s Harley Davidson was probably one of the biggest giveaway parties we have ever hosted. There was over 200 people enjoying great food and drinks and at the end of the night, one person rode off on a new Harley.
It’s been an amazing 10 years and I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait to see what the next 10 years brings!
Amber Beierbach is 105.3 ROCK’s Promo Guru! You can also hear her on air Tuesdays from 7-10 p.m.
You must be logged in to post a comment.