By Medicine Hat News on February 10, 2016.
Valentine’s Day is nearly upon us, and we’re a romantic bunch here in the newsroom. With that in mind here are some date, activity and gift ideas (some are personal experiences, some are just ideas) that are perfect for couples at any point on the highway of love.
– Celebrating each other does not have to cost money you may not be able to afford. Write a love note rather than buy a card. Prepare a favourite meal or dessert you know they love. If you can’t cook buy strawberries and melt chocolate to dip them in.
– Given that every restaurant and hotel in the city will presumably be packed with Alberta Winter Games visitors, maybe this is the year you get a nice steak, make a chocolate fondue and stay in. Chocolate fondue is easier than you think. Start heating the chocolate of your choice (I prefer plain milk chocolate chips), mix in some heavy cream until it’s the right consistency, maybe add a touch of cinnamon and brandy and boom, delectable. With the weather we’ve been having, you might even consider eating outdoors.
– If nostalgia is your thing, make a mix CD of his or her favourite tunes or ones that are special to the two of you.
– The weather’s been so good around here maybe you could take your partner golfing, or at least to the driving range.
– Instead of chocolates, candy or flowers, make a photo video of all the valentine’s you have spent together and special moments. Put it on a DVD, with a little note that says “Play me.”
– Suggested gift? A tank full of gas. Sure to gain in value if you hold on to it for a few years!
– It’s on a long weekend this year so hit the road for weekend away.
– Surprise him or her with a scrapbook filled with the wonderful memories you’ve made.
– My girlfriend and I aren’t at all interested in Valentine’s Day. You should find yourself someone like that for next year.
– I’m older and jaded I’m not big on the formalities of Valentine’s Day, but one VD (oops) Valentine’s Day treat is to keep my wife out of the kitchen. So, ordering a pizza is usually in order and if we can find one of those special heart-shaped pizzas, all the better.
– I was dumped twice on Valentine’s Day while in my formative years. But then one girlfriend, aware of my past bad tidings on Feb. 14, decided she’d try to turn things around. I was working in a city three hours away from her. She surprised me, driving up there and knocking on my door with a box of chocolates. Good thing I was at home. Oh, and you better believe I married that girl.
You must be logged in to post a comment.